The Effect of The Use of Video on English Vocabulary Mastery of The Elementary Second Level Students at SDN 018 Samarinda
Vocabulary is one of language components that plays an important role in communication. Through vocabulary, students can develop the four skills in English language such as listening, reading, writing, and speaking. There are many ways in teaching vocabulary and increasing vocabulary mastery. In this study, the writer used video as a technique. In this study, the writer wants to found out that has any significant effect of the use of Video on English vocabulary mastery of the elementary second level students at SDN 018 Samarinda.The design of this study was pre-experimental design. The writer gave pre-test, treatment, and post-test to one group. The sample of this study was 30 students of the elementary second level students at SDN 018 Samarinda. In analyzing data, the writer used t-test to find out the significance difference between the result before treatment (pre-test) and after treatment (post-test).In pre-test, from 30 students, 7 students got A (excellent), 6 students got B (good), 7 students got C (fair), 6 students got D (poor), and 4 students got E (fail). In post-test, from 30 students, 13 students got A (excellent), 8 students got B (good), 8 students got C (fair), 1 student got D (poor), and no students got E (fail). The mean score of vocabulary before treatment (pre-test) was fair (67,7) and the mean score of vocabulary after treatment (post-test) was good (78,7). The result of the findings of the study showed t-count (6.358) is greater ( ˃ ) than t-table (2.045) at level of significant (p) = 5% and df = 29. It means the null hypothesis (Ho) is rejected and alternative hypothesis (Ha) is accepted. It means that the use of Video give very significant effects on vocabulary to the elementary second level students of SDN 018 Samarinda
- Arikunto, Suharsimi. Dasar - Dasar Evaluasi Pendidikan. Jakarta: PT. Bina Aksara. 2008.
- Barnhart, L, Clarence, Barnhart, K, Robert. 1988. World Book Dictionary. Philippines: Scot, Foresman and Company.
- Budiharso, Teguh. 2001. Pengantar Penelitian. Samarinda: Makalah.
- Creswell, W. John. 1987. Research Design Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods (2th Edition).
- Guralnik, B, David. 1983. Webster’s Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of theEnglish Language. New Work : Dilithium Press, Ltd.
- Hasanah, Sholiehatun. 2011. The Effect of Using Word Mapping on Vocabulary Achievement of the Second Year Students of SMPN 001 Long Ikis in theAcademic Year 2010/2011. Unpublished Thesis. Samarinda: Mulawarman University.
- Hornby, A.S. 2000. OxfordLearner’s Dictionary of Current English. New York : Oxford University Press.
- Longman. 1998. Dictionary of Contemporary English. England: Longman Group UK. Limited.
- Madil, Suhaemi. 2011. The Effect of Using Pictures in Teaching English Vocabulary to the Fifth Grade Students of SD 004 Bengalon AcademicYear 2009/2010. Unpublished Thesis. Samarinda: Mulawarman University
- Mansion, E.J. 1963. Heath’s Standard French and English Dictionary. French: D.C. Heath and Company.
- Ranggi, Yunita. 2010. The Effect of Teaching English Vocabulary by Using Puzzle Games to the Fourth Grade Students of SDN 006 Samarinda in theAcademic Year 2009/2010. Unpublished Thesis. Samarinda: Mulawarman University.
- Saidah. 2004. The Use of Video and Language Laboratory in Teaching Vocabulary for the Second Year Students of SLTPN 3 Tenggarong. Unpublished Thesis. Samarinda: Mulawarman University.
- Wardani, Purnama. 2003. The Effect of VCD Towards Students Vocabulary Achievement of the Fifth Grade at SDN 003 Palaran in Academic Year2001/2002. Unpublished Thesis. Samarinda: Mulawarman University.
- Wilda, Sofia. 2009. The Effect of Audio Visual Aids on Vocabulary Achievement of the Fourth Grade Students of SDN 023 Samarinda Ulu in Academic Year 2008/2009. Unpublished Thesis. Samarinda: Mulawarman University