Main Article Content
Abstract: This research investigated 80 students of Diploma III Architecture of Samarinda State Polytechnic to see their vocabularies mastery trough storytelling. Telling the stories is one of the best way to find out the students' English Mastery. Some obstacles are also found in learning English trough performing storytelling in the class such as the suitable material and text for the students, the lack of ability of the students and the teacher in conducting story as well as the readiness and the nervousness of the storytellers. As an English lecturer, the researcher also finds that how to improve vocabularies is one of the students' problems in learning English. It is proved when the students are asked to tell a story in front of the class. In this research, the students needed telling stories before they had the English vocabulary test. From the test, it could be concluded that the highest score was 92 got by one (1) student while the lowest score was 46 got by one (1) student. Meanwhile, the average score was 78 that classified fair (B). There were two (2) students who got below 50 that classified Fail. The results show that even the students' English mastery were satisfied but the students still need to practice how to tell the story in a good way so that they will master in all aspects.
Keywords: Samarinda State Polytechnic, Students' Mastery, Storytelling
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- AMEP Research Centre. www.nceltr.edu.au/pdamep (retrived April 20,2017)
- Boje, D. (March, 1991). The storytelling organization: a study of story performance in an office-supply firm. Administrative Science Quarterly, 36, (1), 106-127.
- Boyce, M. (Winter, 1995). Collective centering and collective sense-making in the stories and storytelling of one organization. Organizational Studies, 16, (1), 107-138.
- Carruthers, S. 2007. Articulatory Training on Facial Movements Using the Webcam Pronunciation Mirror: A Pilot Study. HPU TESL Working paper Series, 5(1), 3-17.
- Department of Education Training and Youth Affair (DETYA). 2001. Teaching Pronunciation: A Handbook for Teachers and Trainers. Three Frameworks for an Integrated Approach. New South Wales Department of Education and Training
- Eva, Farida. 2001. A Study of the Repetition Drill Towards the English Pronunciation of the Fourth Grade Elementary School Students of SDN 018 Samarinda in 1999/2000 Academic Year. English Department Faculty of Teacher Trainning and Education Mulawarman University. Samarinda. 2001
- Gilbert, Judy B. 2008. Teaching Pronunciation Using the Prosody Pyramid. Cambridge University Press
- Imamesup, Ampawan. 2011. The Study of the Effectiveness of Audioarticulation Model in Improving Thai Learners' Pronunciation of Fricative Sounds. Master of Arts Degree in Teaching as a Foreign Language at Srinakharinwirot University
- Khamkhien, Attapol. 2010. Thai Learners' English Pronunciation Competence: Lesson Learned From Word Stress Assignment. Journal off Language Teaching and Research, Vol.1, No. 6, pp. 757-764, November 2010.
- Kelly, G. 2000. How to Teach Pronunciation (1st Ed). London: Longman/Pearson Education Limited
- Machackova, Eva. 2012. Teaching English Pronunciation to Secondary School Students with Focus on “th” Consonants. Masaryk University Brno Faculty of Education Department of English Language and Literature
- Tomcikova, Nad'a. 2006. Developing Pronunciation With Young Learners. University of Pardubice Faculty of Arts and Philosophy Department of English and American Studies
- Varasarin. Patchara. 2007. An Action Research Study of Pronunciation Training, Language Learning Strategies and Speaking Confidence. School of Education Faculty of Arts, Education and Human Development Victoria University
- Yangklang, W. 2006. Improving English Final /-l/ Pronunciation of Thai Students Through Computer-Assisted Instruction Program. Suranaree University of Technology. Master of English Language Studies
- Ur, Penny. 1996. A course in Language Teaching Practice and Theory. Cambridge: Cambridge University press