Main Article Content
Abstract: This study aims to find out the strategies used by tertiary level students in performing English communication. This research was a descriptive study involving English Education Study Program students. Data analysis included in-depth transcribing on the students’ speaking performance and the result of interview. The findings show that the communication strategies used in the conversation consisted of avoidance, paraphrase, borrowing, appeal for assistance, and mime. The common strategy lied on mime, while avoidance and paraphrase strategies were not frequently applied. The results show communication strategies were effective in helping the first language students in learning English as their foreign language. Communication strategies give solution to cope with difficulties in learning English. Communication strategies are highly suggested to be socialized to EFL learners as an alternative way to improve speaking performance.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Astutik, Y. (2016). Communication Strategies Employed by Indonesian EFL Learners. Presented in International Conference of Language Development Conference, 17-19 June 2016, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam. 29-41
- Clément, R. (1986). Second language proficiency and acculturation: An investigation of the effects of language status and individual characteristics. Journal of Language and social Psychology, 5(4), 271-290.
- Hua, T. K., Nor, N. F. M., & Jaradat, M. N. (2012). Communication strategies among EFL students: An examination of frequency of use and types of strategies used. GEMA Online Journal of Language Studies, 12(3), 831-848.
- Mitchel and Myles. (1998). Second Language Learning Theories. Oxford: Oxford University Press Inc.
- Nakatani, Y. (2005). The Effect of Awareness-Raising Training on Oral Communication Strategy Use. The Modern Language Journal, 89(1). 76-91
- Purbaningrum, W. (2011). Penggunaan Strategi Komunikasi oleh Pemelajar ESL: Studi Kasus pada Tugas Wicara di Depan Umum. Tesis. Universitas Indonesia.
- Rodríguez Cervantes, C. A., & Roux Rodriguez, R. (2012). The Use of Communication Strategies in the Beginner EFL Classroom. Gist Education and Learning Research Journal, 6, 111-128.
- Soewarno, B. (1987). Metode Kuantitatif dala Penelitian Ilmu-Ilmu sosial dan Pendidikan. Jakarta: Depdikbud.
- Tarone. E. (1983). “Some thoughts on the Notion of Communication Strategy”. In Faerch, C. and G. Kasper (eds.). Strategies in Interlanguage Communication. London: Longman.
- Teng, Huei-Chun. (2011). Communication strategy use of EFL college students. In A. Stewart (Ed.), JALT2010 Conference Proceedings. Tokyo: JALT.
- Zhang, W. (2005). The Selection of Communication Strategies by Taiwanese EFL Elementary School Students with Different English Proficiency Levels in Information Gap Activities. Master Thesis, National Taipei University of Education.