A Revisit of Gricean Maxims in Manado Malay Language
DOI : 10.24903/sj.v2i2.134
Some researchers have tried to challenge the dominance of Gricean maxims in terms of its consistency. One way of testing it is by conducting research in vernacular language. This research is therefore conducted to revisit Gricean maxims in Manado Malay language, a language used by the people who live in Manado and its surroundings. This research, therefore, aims to find out (1) how the Cooperative Principle is violated in Manado Malay language, and (2) what the purpose of the generated implicatures are. The data used for analysis in this research were taken from recorded lunch break conversation of the lecturers at Unika De La Salle Manado in July 2016. The result showed that the Gricean maxims: maxim of quantity, maxim of quality, maxim of relation and maxim of manner were observed in Manado Malay language. It was also found that implicatures generated in Manado Malay language were meant for giving information. It can be concluded that Gricean maxims are consistent when implicatures occur in Manado Malay language. Furthermore, speakers of Manado Malay language usually produce implicature to give information and to joke.
Gricean maxims, Cooperative Principle, Implicature
- Åkerman, J. (2009). A plea for pragmatics. Synthese, 170(1), 155–167. http://doi.org/10.1007/s11229-008-9365-z
- Back, M. (2013). Using Facebook Data to Analyze Learner Interaction During Study Abroad. Foreign Language Annals, 46(3), 377–401. http://doi.org/10.1111/flan.12036
- Baptista, L. (2011). Say What? On Grice On What Is Said. European Journal of Philosophy, 22(1), 1–19. http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0378.2011.00467.x
- Bezuidenhout, A., & Cutting, J. C. (2002). Literal meaning, minimal propositions, and pragmatic processing. Journal of Pragmatics, 34, 433–456.
- Blome-Tillmann, M. (2013). Knowledge and implicatures. Synthese, 190(18), 4293–4319. http://doi.org/10.1007/s11229-013-0274-4
- Brumark, A. (2006). Non-observance of Gricean maxims in family dinner table conversation. Journal of Pragmatics, 38, 1206–1238. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.pragma.2005.03.014
- Burt, S. M. (2002). Maxim confluence. Journal of Pragmatics, 34, 993–1001.
- Caink, A., & Clark, B. (2012). Special Issue on Inference and Implicature in Literary Interpretation. Journal of Literary Semantics, 41(2), 99–103. http://doi.org/10.1515/ils-2012-0006
- Capone, A. (2006). On Grice’s circle (a theory-internal problem in linguistic theories of the Gricean type). Journal of Pragmatics, 38, 645–669. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.pragma.2006.02.005
- Chapman, S. (2012). Towards a Neo-Gricean Stylistics: Implicature in Dorothy L. Sayers’s Gaudy Night. Journal of Literary Semantics, 41(2), 139–153. http://doi.org/10.1515/jls-2012-0009
- Chien, A. (2008). Scalar implicature and contrastive explanation. Synthese, 161, 47–66. http://doi.org/10.1007/s11229-006-9153-6
- Dekker, P. (2002). Pronouns in a pragmatic semantics. Journal of Pragmatics, 34, 815–827.
- Denzin, N. K., & Lincoln, Y. S. (2009). Handbook of Qualitative Research. California: Sage Publication.
- Fetzer, A. (2006). “‘Minister, we will see how the public judges you.’” Media references in political interviews. Journal of Pragmatics, 38, 180–195. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.pragma.2005.06.017
- Grice, H. P. (1975). Logic and Conversation. In Syntax and semantics 3: Speech arts (pp. 41–58). Academic Press.
- Haghverdi, H. R. (2010). The Effect of ote-taking Strategy Instruction on the Students ’ Academic Achievement, 7(2), 123–151.
- Jagoe, C. (2015). Collaborative meaning-making in delusional talk as a search for mutual manifestness: A Relevance Theory approach. Journal of Interactional Research in Communication Disorders, 6(1), 53–71.
- Levinson, S. C. (1991). Pragmatic reduction of the binding conditions revisited. Journal of Linguistics, 27, 107–161.
- Lewis, K. S. (2012). Discourse dynamics, pragmatics, and indefinites. Philos Stud, (158), 313–342. http://doi.org/10.1007/s11098-012-9882-y
- Meibauer, J. (2005). Lying and falsely implicating. Journal of Pragmatics, 37, 1373–1399. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.pragma.2004.12.007
- Ngenget, S. (2007). An analysis of the flouting of Gricean maxims in Harold Pinter’s The Birthday Party. Thesis. Singapore: Nanyang Technological University.
- Potts, C. (2012). Conversational implicature: an overview.
- Salea-Warouw, M. (1981). Variasi Bahasa Manado. Jakarta.
- Sandjaja, D. P. (n.d.). Indonesian | Asian Languages & Literature | University of Washington. Retrieved September 7, 2017, from https://asian.washington.edu/fields/indonesian
- Song, L. (2010). The Role of Context in Discourse Analysis. Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 1(6), 876–879. http://doi.org/10.4304/jltr.1.6.876-879
- Tsou, W. (2011). The Application of Readers Theater to FLES (Foreign Language in the Elementary Schools) Reading and Writing. Foreign Language Annals, 44(4), 727–748.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.