Main Article Content
Today English plays an important role in the development of education. In response to advances and develops the education in this globalization era, English bridges communication among people around the world. The ability to communicate in English becomes crucial. The development in education as an impact of globalization significantly influence the process of teaching and learning concept. Bilingual education becomes necessary, it can stimulate the cognitive ability especially on cognitive function, it can also motivate the bilingual program. Education as a conscious effort to build and develop the quality of human resources and one popular education system promote bilingual education becomes a choice by parents. Using bilingual education become popular and be needed. Indonesian educational policies see this phenomenon as a new modern solution to be practiced in Indonesia's education system for many years. For these reasons, the purpose of writing this library research article paper is to elaborate and give understanding about bilingual eduacation in Indonesia for certain time. The article start with the differences between bilingual and bilingualism, the relation of the bilingual process with executive function, the practice of bilingual education in Indonesia compared by the national standardized school, the challenges and solutions concerning the policy and practices in language teaching and learning focused on bilingual education in Indonesia. The present article employ a descriptive qualitative approach from reputable references which is relevant to the topics.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Ahmed, S. (2018). Communicative competence in English as a foreign language: Its meaning and the Pedagogical Considerations for its development. The Creative Launcher, 2(6), 301-312.
- Bialystok, E. (2008). Bilingualism : The Good, the bad, and the indifferent. Cambridge Journals, 12(1), 3.
- Bialystok, E. (2015, June). Bilingualism and the Development of Executive Function: The Role of Attention. Child Development Perspective, 9(2), 117 - 121.
- Bloomfield, L. (1995). Language (Revised Edition). London: Allen & Unwin.
- Buschenhofen. (1980). Trendy Experimentation Or Cultural Enrichment. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 1(4), 303 - 312.
- Chan, R., Shum, D., Touloupoulou, T., & Chen. (2008). Assessment of Executive Function : Review of Instrument and Identification of Critical Issue. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 23, 201 - 216.
- Chilla, Solveig et all. (2010). Ezel : Kindliche Mehrsprachigkeit. Munchen: Storungen.
- Cohen, A.D., M.Swain. (1976). Bilingual Education: The Immersion Model in the North American Context. TESOL Journal, 10(1), 144.
- Dewey, M. (2007). English as a lingua franca and globalization: an interconnected perspective. International Journal of Applied Linguistics, 17(3), 333.
- Dictionary,O.E(2017). http://www.etymonline.com.
- Grosjean, F. (1995). A Psycholinguistic Approach to Code-Switching of Guest Words by Bilinguals. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Grosjean, F. (1998). Neurolinguist, Beware! The Bilingual is Not Two Monolinguals in One Person. Brain and Language, 36, 3 - 15.
- Harding-Esch, E. a. (2003). Philip : The Bilingual Family. A Handbook for Parents. Cambridge.
- Haugen, E. (1953). The Norwegian Language in America. Philadelphia: Pennsylvania Press.
- Henly, J. W. (2013). Evaluation of International Standard School in Indonesia. Jakarta: Ministry of Education and Culture.
- Kupelikilinc, Nicola/ Ringler, Maria. (2007). Spracherwerb von mehreren Sprachen In : Verband binationaler Familien und Partnerschaften. Kompetent Mehersprachig, 29 - 50.
- Margana. (2009). Developing Model of Bilingual Education at Vocational High School in Yogyakarta. Research Report of Competitive Grant Funded by DIKTI.
- Margana. (2013). Theoretical Justification of Bilingual Education Program. FLLT conference (pp. 772 - 773). Thailand: Thammasat University.
- Margana. (2015, November). Establishing English-Indonesian
- Bilinguals in Indonesia : From Theory to Practice. RA Journal of Applied Research, 1(10), 372.
- Matter, G. (2012, March 18). Why Billinguals are Smarter. New York: New York Edition.
- Nasional.kompas. (2011, 10 17). Kompas. Nasional. Retrieved 10 24, 2018, from Nasional.Kompas: https://nasional.kompas.com/read/2011/10/17/14480782/RSBI.Ciptakan.Kasta.dalam.Pendidikan
- Owens, R. (2012). Language Development : An Introduction. Boston, MA: Pearson.
- Rakyat, K. (2013, Januari). Makamah Konstitusi Membubarkan RSBI. Yogyakarta.
- Romaine, S. (1995). Bilingualism (Second Edition). Oxford, UK: Bassil Blackwell Ltd.
- Santoso, D. (2006). Bilingual Education Program at Junior High school. Jakarta: Prenada Media.
- Serra, M. R. (2017). The Bilingual World: A Study on Bilingualism and its Cognitive Effects. Article, 6-11.
- Undang-Undang Nomor 20 Tahun 2003 Tentang Sistem Pendidikan Nasional. (2003).
- Walner,K. (2016). The Effects of Bilingualism on Language Development. Communication Sciences and Disorder : Student scholarship and Creative Works.