Main Article Content
This study was aimed to find out whether or not (1) there is any significant correlation between reading ability and reading habit, (2) There is any significant correlation between reading ability and internet use, (3) There is any significant correlation among reading ability, internet use, and reading habit of students of private junior high schools in Kecamatan Ilir Timur II Palembang. This study was a quantitative research approach with a corelational research design. The researcher collected the data through 2 instruments namely, reading test and questionnaires. A test was used to find out students’ reading ability and questionnaires were used to find out students’ reading habits and internet use. The population of this study was 803 and 120 for the population. To analyze the data, the procedures were presenting and describing the data, testing the hypotheses, and analyzing the regression. From the results, only internet use and reading ability that had a significant correlation (p-value > 0.05). The result of the regression analysis between internet use to reading ability showed that the correlation between those variables was 16,7%.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Abidin, M. J. Z., Pour-Mohammadi, M., & Jesmin, A. (2011). A Survey of Online Reading Habits of Rural Secondary School Students in Malaysia. International Journal of Linguistics, 3. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.5296/ijl.v3i1.1045
- Alderete, M. V. (2019). Examining the drivers of internet use among the poor: The case of Bahía Blanca city in Argentina. Technology in Society, 59, 101179. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techsoc.2019.101179
- Alimoradi, Z., Lin, C.-Y., Broström, A., Bülow, P. H., Bajalan, Z., Griffiths, M. D., … Pakpour, A. H. (2019). Internet addiction and sleep problems: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Sleep Medicine Reviews, 47, 51–61. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2019.06.004
- Brew, A., & Saunders, C. (2019). Making sense of research-based learning in teacher education. Teaching and Teacher Education, 87, 102935. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2019.102935
- Creswell, J. W. (2011). Educational Research: Planning, Conducting, and Evaluating Quantitative and Qualitative Research (4th ed.). Boston: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Greenlaw, R., & Hep, E. (2001). Inline/online: Fundamentals of the Internet and the World Wide Web. Osborne: McGraw- Hill.
- Janc, K., Czapiewski, K., & Wójcik, M. (2019). In the starting blocks for smart agriculture: The internet as a source of knowledge in transitional agriculture. NJAS - Wageningen Journal of Life Sciences, 100309. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.njas.2019.100309
- Kadivar, M., Seyedfatemi, N., Mokhlesabadi Farahani, T., Mehran, A., & Pridham, K. F. (2017). Effectiveness of an internet-based education on maternal satisfaction in NICUs. Patient Education and Counseling, 100(5), 943–949. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2016.11.005
- Khan, P., & Iqbal, M. (2012). Role of physical facilities in teaching learning process. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 4(3), 210–216.
- Loan, F. A. (2011). Internet Use by Rural and Urban College Students: A Comparative Study. DESIDOC Journal of Library & Information Technology, 31(6), 431–436. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.14429/djlit.31.6.1317
- Lyons, M. (1999). The history of reading Gutenberg to Gates. European Legacy, 4(5), 50–57.
- Mu, G. M., Liang, W., Lu, L., & Huang, D. (2018). Building Pedagogical Content Knowledge within Professional Learning Communities: An approach to counteracting regional education inequality. Teaching and Teacher Education, 73, 24–34. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2018.03.006
- Murphy, J., Vaughn, J., Gelber, K., Geller, A., & Zakowski, M. (2019). Readability, content, quality and accuracy assessment of internet-based patient education materials relating to labor analgesia. International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia, 39, 82–87. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2019.01.003
- Nguyen, X. N. C. M., & Walkinshaw, I. (2018). Autonomy in teaching practice: Insights from Vietnamese English language teachers trained in Inner-Circle countries. Teaching and Teacher Education, 69, 21–32. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2017.08.015
- Nuroh, E. Z., & Mandarani, V. (2018). The Use of Cooperative Learning Through Tai (Team Assisted Individualization) In Reading Comprehension. Script Journal: Journal of Linguistic and English Teaching, 3(1), 14.
- Palomino, M. del C. P. (2017). Teacher Training in the Use of ICT for Inclusion: Differences between Early Childhood and Primary Education. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 237, 144–149. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2017.02.055
- Raza, S., Helgason, T., Papadimitratos, P., & Voigt, T. (2017). SecureSense: End-to-end secure communication architecture for the cloud-connected Internet of Things. Future Generation Computer Systems, 77, 40–51. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.future.2017.06.008
- Reichert, F., & Torney-Purta, J. (2019). A cross-national comparison of teachers’ beliefs about the aims of civic education in 12 countries: A person-centered analysis. Teaching and Teacher Education, 77, 112–125. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2018.09.005
- Sucuoglu, E. (2017). Analysis of motivational strategies used by English language teachers teaching at secondary schools. Procedia Computer Science, 120, 189–195. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2017.11.228
- Tegge, F. (2017). The lexical coverage of popular songs in English language teaching. System, 67, 87–98. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2017.04.016
- Tranos, E., & Stich, C. (2020). Individual internet usage and the availability of online content of local interest: A multilevel approach. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 79, 101371. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2019.101371
- UNESCO. (2003). Internet in Education: Support Materials for Educators. Moscow: Russian Federation.
- Uusen, A., & Müürsepp, M. (2012). Gender Differences in Reading Habits Among Boys and Girls of Basic School in Estonia. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 69, 1795–1804. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.12.129
- Yuliani, S., & Barokah, F. (2017). The Influence of Online Reading Habit on Reading Achievement of the Eleventh Grade Students of Senior High School Muhammadiyah 1 of Palembang. , 1(1), 51. English Community Journal, 1(1), 51. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.32502/ecj.v1i1.652