Make a Match Learning for English Conversation Skills of Students with Intellectual Disabilities
This research aimed to discover the effectiveness of Make-A-Match model in improving the English conversation skills of students with intellectual disabilities. The participants of this research were 7th-grade students in Class C of SMPLB (Junior High School for Special Needs) Jambi
The data in this applied action research were obtained by using observation, interviews, and notes. This research was conducted in 3 cycles using four steps: planning, acting, observing, and reflecting in each cycle.
The result showed that using the contextual approach to Make-A-Match model was sufficient to improve English conversation skills of students with intellectual disabilities. The students were more active, enthusiastic, and confident in uttering expressions without being anxious about making mistakes because the classroom atmosphere was relaxing and fun. This model also made students worked well together.
through this model, the teacher succeeds in encouraging students to apply English in their daily conversation.
Keywords : Contextual approach, make a match, speaking, students with intellectual disabilities
- Arwin, A., Yunisrul, Y., & Zuardi, Z. (2019). Learning Make A Match Using Prezi in Elementary School in Industry 4.0. In 5th International Conference on Education and Technology (ICET 2019). Atlantis Press.
- Bešić, E., Paleczek, L., Rossmann, P., Krammer, M., & Gasteiger-Klicpera, B. (2020). Attitudes towards inclusion of refugee girls with and without disabilities in Austrian primary schools. International Journal of Inclusive Education. https://doi.org/10.1080/13603116.2018.1467976
- Dharmawan, A., & Wahyuni, A. (2017). Audio-video Based Reading Learning Model For Mentally-Retarded Students. Jurnal Kependidikan: Penelitian Inovasi Pembelajaran, 1(2).
- Hidayah, M., Sujadi, I., & Pangadi, P. (2014). Proses Berpikir Siswa Tunagrahita Ringan Dalam Memecahkan Masalah Matematika Bentuk Soal Cerita Pada Operasi Hitung Campuran.
- Huang, Y.-M., Hwang, J.-P., & Chen, S. Y. (2016). Matching/mismatching in web-based learning: a perspective based on cognitive styles and physiological factors. Interactive Learning Environments, 24(6), 1198–1214. https://doi.org/10.1080/10494820.2014.978791
- Irwanto, & Nurpahmi, S. (2017). Using Make-a Match to Improve the Students’ Reading Comprehension at MTS Guppi Samata Gowa. ETERNAL (English, Teaching, Learning, and Research Journal), 3(2), 161–172.
- Jeremy Harmer. (2003). The Practice of English Language Teaching. ELT Journal. https://doi.org/10.1093/elt/57.4.401
- Kemmis, S., McTaggart, R., & Nixon, R. (2013). The action research planner: Doing critical participatory action research. Springer.
- Kustawan, D. (2013). Bimbingan dan konseling bagi anak berkebutuhan khusus. Jakarta: PT. Luxima Metro Media.
- Lompoliu, B. B. A., & Lompoliu, B. A. (2019). Implementation of the Make A Match Learning Model to Improve Student Learning Outcomes BT - 5th International Conference on Education and Technology (ICET 2019). Atlantis Press. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.2991/icet-19.2019.48
- Mart, Ç. T. (2012). Developing speaking skills through reading. International Journal of English Linguistics, 2(6), 91.
- Meria, A. (2015). Model Pembelajaran Agama Islam bagi Anak Tunagrahita di SDLBYPPLB Padang Sumatra Barat. TSAQAFAH, 11(2), 355–380.
- Nation, I. S. P., & Newton, J. (2008). Teaching ESL/EFL listening and speaking. Routledge.
- Nawas, A. (2018). Contextual Teaching and Learning (CTL) Approach Through REACT Strategies On Improving The Students’ Critical Thinking in Writing. International Journal of Management and Applied Science, 4(7), 46–49.
- Putri, E. P. K., Mustapa, K., & Gani, A. (2018). Effect of Cooperative Make a Match Learning Model on Student’s Learning Outcomes on Electrolyte and Non-Electrolyte Solutions Topics. In First Indonesian Communication Forum of Teacher Training and Education Faculty Leaders International Conference on Education 2017 (ICE 2017). Atlantis Press.
- Rahayu, I., Mustaji, M., & Setyowati, R. R. N. (2018). Application of Make A Match Learning to Increase Learning Outcomes for Primary School BT - 2nd International Conference on Education Innovation (ICEI 2018). Atlantis Press. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.2991/icei-18.2018.5
- Rayhan, J. M. (2014). The Impact of Using Role Play Techniques on Improving Pupils’ Speaking Skill for Primary School. Basic Education College Magazine For Educational and Humanities Sciences, (15), 516–530.
- Richards, J. C. (2009). Teaching listening and speaking : from theory to practice. Singapore: SEAMEO Regional Language Centre.
- Sari, S. F. M., Binahayati, B., & Taftazani, B. M. (2017). Pendidikan Bagi Anak Tuna Grahita (Studi Kasus Tunagrahita Sedang di SLB N Purwakarta). Prosiding Penelitian Dan Pengabdian Kepada Masyarakat, 4(2).
- Satriani, I., Emilia, E., & Gunawan, H. (2012). Contextual teaching and learning approach to teaching writing. Indonesian Journal of Applied Linguistic, 2(1), 10–22.
- Selvianiresa, D., & Prabawanto, S. (2017). Contextual Teaching and Learning Approach of Mathematics in Primary Schools. In Journal of Physics: Conference Series (Vol. 895, p. 12171).
- Snyder, S. M., & Ayres, K. (2020). Investigating the usage of reading curriculum-based measurement (CBM-R) to formatively assess the basic reading skills of students with intellectual disability. Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities. Retrieved from https://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85081237195&partnerID=40&md5=e24986dc3ba6098a5799e9698f488163
- Strogilos, V., Avramidis, E., Voulagka, A., & Tragoulia, E. (2020). Differentiated instruction for students with disabilities in early childhood co-taught classrooms: types and quality of modifications. International Journal of Inclusive Education. https://doi.org/10.1080/13603116.2018.1466928
- Suprijono, A. (2011). Cooperative Learning; Teori dan Aplikasi Paikem. Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar.
- Yenni, I., & Ahda, Y. (2019). Implementation of “Make a Match” Type of Cooperative Learning Model Assisted With Student Worksheets (Lkpd) to Improve VII Grade Students’ Learning Competences in Natural Science Subject in SMPN 5 Padang.
- Zawil, R. (2016). Using make a Match Technique to teach vocabulary. English Education Journal, 7(3), 311–328.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.