Main Article Content
Abstract: This study was aimed to investigate how Co-op technique can be implemented to improve reading comprehension of the eighth grade students of MTsN Ngawi who faced the problems in reading. The students did not comprehend the text and the score was low. The average score of reading test in preliminary study was 67 where as the average score of student’ success based on the minimum standard of students’ score is seventy (70). The design of this study was classroom action research. The technique applied in the research was Co-op technique. The result showed that the students reading average score significantly improved. In two cycle study, in the first test the students reading average score was 69.54, in the second test the students reading score was 76.15. It could be concluded that predetermined criteria of success had been achieved.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Aebersold, Jo Ann & Field, Marrie Lee. 1997. From Reader to Reading Teacher. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Alderson, J. C. 2000. Assessing Reading. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Alyousef, Hesham Suleiman. 2005. Teaching Reading to EFL Learners. The Reading Matrix Vol 5 No. 2, September. Retrieved on April, 2014.
- Arrends, I. Richard. 2004. Learning to Teach. New York: Mc Graw Hill Blaxter.
- Ausubel, D.P. 2000. Educational Psychology: A Cognitive View. New York: Holt.
- Beck, Robert. 1990. Motivation: Theories and Principles. Englewood cliff: Prentice Hall.
- Borrich, Gary D. 1996. Effective Teaching Method. New Jersey: Prentice Hall. Inc.
- Brown, Douglas H. 2004. Languge Assessment. San Fransisco: Longman.
- Brown, Douglas H. 2001. Teaching by Principles An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy. San Francisco: Longman.
- DeBolt, Virginia. 1994. Write: Cooperative Learning and the Writing Process. New York: Kagan Cooperative Learning.
- Hamalik, Oemar. 1986. Strategi Belajar Mengajar. Bandung: Sinar Baru.
- Hamilton, Richard, Ghatala, Elizabeth. 1994. Learning and Instruction. New York: McGraw-Hill, Inc.
- Harmer, Jeremy. 1991. The Practice of English Language Teaching. New York: Longman.
- Harmer, Jeremy. 2003. How to Teach English. Beijing: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press.
- Harmer, Jeremy. 1992. The Practice of English Language Teaching. London: Longman.
- Hill, Susan, Hill, Tim. 1996. The Collaborative Classroom: a guide to co-operative learning. Canbera: National Library of Australia.
- Johnson, D.W., Johnson R.T., Smith, K.A. 1998. Maximizing Instruction through Cooperative Learning. ASEE Prism.
- Jordan, R.R. 1997. English for Academic Purposes. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Kagan, Spencer. 1992. Cooperative Learning. San Juan Capitrasno. CA: Resources for Teacher Inc.
- Kagan, Spencer. 1995. Co-op Co-op: A Flexible Cooperative Learning Technique
- Kessler, Carolyn. 1992. Cooperative Language Learning. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall,Inc.
- McCafferty, Steven G, Jacobs, George M, Iddings, Ana Christina DaSilva. 2006. Cooperative Learning and Second Language Teaching. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Revell, R. & Sweeney, S. 1993. In Print: reading business English. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Seidlhofer, Barbara. 2005. Key Concepts in ELT: English as a lingua franca. Available @eltj.oxfordjournals.org
- Simatupang, M. (1999). Bahasa Inggris: Variasi Yang Mana? Suatu Tinjauan Ulang Tentang Status Bahasa Inggris di Indonesia. In B.K. Purwo (Ed). PELLBA 12 (Pertemuan Linguistik Lembaga Bahasa Atma Jaya: Kedua Belas),. 63-84. Jakarta: Pusat Kajian dan Budaya Unika Atma Jaya.
- Shofiyanti, Titik. 2009. Upaya Meningkatkan Aktivitas dan Kreativitas Siswa Dengan Menggunakan Metode Co-opdan Strategi Penunjauan Kembali Pada Pembelajaran Matematika Siswa Kelas XI IPA MAN Pakem Yogyakarta. Skripsi tidak diterbitkan. Yogyakarta: UIN Sunan Kalijaga Yogyakarta.
- Slavin, Robert E. 1995. Cooperative Learning: Theory, Research, and Practice. Massachusetts: A Simon & Schusster Company.
- Rinehart & Winston Barkley, Elizabeth F, Cross, K. Patricia, Major, Claire Hawell. 2005. Collaborative Learning Techniques. San Fransisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Robert J. Stahl. 1996. Cooperative Learning in Science: A Handbook for Teachers. Menlo Park, CA: Addison-Wesley Innovative Learning Divisi
- Taslim. 2008. Cooperative Learning to Improve Reading Comprehension of Students of SMP Negeri 9 Jember. Unpublished thesis submitted for graduate degree in English education. Malang: Universitas Islam Malang.
- Tindale, J. 2003. Teaching Reading. NCELTR. NSW: Macquarie University.
- Tuckman, Bruce W. 1978. Conducting Education Research. New York: Prentice Hall.
- Winarti, Titik. 2012. The Effectiveness of Co-opto Teach Reading Viewed From Students’ Locus of Control in SMAN 1 Kwadungan. Unpublished thesis submitted for graduate degree in English education. Surakarta: Universitas Negeri Surakarta.