Main Article Content
The study was about improving speaking fluency of the students by teaching them using communicative approach. The objective of the study was to find out: 1. How the communicative approach improved the students’ speaking fluency, 2. How the perception of the students about communicative approach.This research was conducted by using CAR (Classroom Action Research). This research had two cycles. There were nine classes of the seventh graders in SMPN 1 Tenggarong. The writers chose one class as the subject that had a middle level ability of speaking English. After the first cycle, the students were given a test. After the scores out, the treatment was applied by the writers. To see whether it was successful or not, the writers themselves gave the post-test. Then the writers did the same thing like on the first cycle for the next cycle. The writers also gave an interview with an open-ended question to find out the students’ perception of communicative approach. The result showed that there was increased in their speaking fluency. In the first cycle, the score was 75,45 and 77,30. In the second cycle, the score was 79,6 and 81,60. Secondly, the perception of the students toward communicative approach showed that the students had a positive relationship with the teacher and the other students and also had a better cooperation in the class. It also showed how the students became more active in the classroom.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- British Council.(2007). Communicative Approach. From the website https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/communicative-approach
- Cohen, L., Manion, L. & Morrison, K. (2007).Research Methods in Education. (6th edition).British Library Cataloguing in Publication Data.
- Cohn, K.H. (2007). Developing Communication Skills.Journal of Concology Practice, American Society of Clinical Oncology.
- Ferrance, E. (2000). Action Research.Northeast and Islands Regional Educational Laboratory at Brown University.
- Gorsuch, G.J. (2011). Improving Speaking Fluency for International Teaching Assistants by Increasing Input.(vol.4). Texas Tech University.
- Huang, L.S. (2012). Action Research. From blog or website with address http://www.li-shihhuang.ca/Articles_files/BCTEALActionResearch2012.pdf
- Iswara, A.A., Azib, A. &Rochsantiningsih, D. Improving Students’ Speaking Fluency Through the Implementation of Trivia-Based activity in University Students.SebelasMaret University.
- Kormos, J. & Denes, M. (2014).Exploring Measures and Perceptions of Fluency in the Speech of Second Language Learners.EotrosLorand University, Budapest.
- Krauss, R.M. & Chiu, C.Y. (1998).Language and Social Behavior. Columbia University and The University of Hong Kong.
- Larsen-Freeman, D. (2000).Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching. (2nd edition).Oxford University Press.
- Mills, G.E. (2000). Action Research: A Guide for the Teacher Researcher. (3rd edition). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill.
- Mishra, M.P., Tripathy, P., &Patra, R. (2002).English Communication Skills. College of Engineering and Technology, Bhubaneswar.
- Nurhayati, S. (2011).Teaching Speaking Skill Through Communicative Language Teaching. SyarifHidayatullah State Islamic University, Jakarta.
- Richards, J.C. & Rodgers, T.S. (2011).Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching.(2nd edition).Cambridge University Press.
- Richards, J.C. (2006). Communicative Language Teaching Today. Cambridge University Press, SEAMEO Regional Language Centre.
- Thornbury, S. (2005).How to Teach Speaking. New York: Pearson Education Limited.
- Wang, Z. (2014). Developing Accuracy and Fluency in Spoken English of Chinese EFL Learners.English Language Teaching; Vol.7, No.2; Canadian Center of Science & Education.