Supp. File(s): common.other
Developing 10 Interesting Games as the Breakthrough of Monotonous Implementation of Flashcards to Vocabulary Learning and Assessments
DOI : 10.24903/sj.v2i1.65
Supp. File(s): common.other
Vocabulary learning is the very first instructional process in learning a language. Vocabulary teaching has been becoming the issues of English teaching in Indonesia for years and it raises the opportunities of research on this field. This study belongs to Research & Development study which aims at (1) Describing the media used by teachers in vocabulary learning, (2) The activities implemented during the implementation of the media, and (3) Developing the games which can support the use of the media in vocabulary learning. The subjects in this study were teachers and 100 students of Elementary Schools in Buleleng Sub-district. This study used mixed methods approach where all the data was collected through the implementation of observations, interview, and administering questionnaires. The data was analyzed quantitatively and qualitatively. The results show that (1) the media used was flashcards, (2) the activity conducted was monotonous, and (3) 10 interesting games were developed. Based on the aforementioned results, it can be concluded that the media used by teachers was flashcards in which the implementation was monotonous. Therefore, 10 interesting games were developed.
Keywords : Language Learning Games, Vocabulary Flashcards, TEYL Assessments
- Alemi, M. (2010). The impact of word games on expanding learner's vocabulary knowledge. Paper presented at the 2-VIII. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/869507866?accountid=38628
- Blintz, W. P. (2011). Teaching Vocabulary Across the Curriculum. Middle School Journal March 2011. p. 44-53
- Cross, David. (1991). A Practical Handbook of Language Teaching. London: British Library Cataloguing in Publication Data
- Gruss, J. (2016). Games as a Tool for Teaching English Vocabulary to Young Learners. World Scientific News, 53(2). p. 67-109
- Harmer, Jeremy. (2007). The Practice of English Language Teaching. Fourth Edition. England: Pearson Longman.
- Johnson, D. W. & Johnson R. T. (2002). Meaningful Assessment: A Manageable and Cooperative Process. Boston: Allyn and Bacon
- Kasman, N., Kaseng, S., Hanafie, H., & Daeng, K. (2014). The Effectiveness of Stimulus to the Language Acquisition of Early Age Child. Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 5(6), p. 1315-1321.
- Komachali, Maryam E & Khodareza. (2012). The Effect of Using Vocabulary Flash Card on Iranian Pre-University Students’ Vocabulary Knowledge. International Education Studies. 5(3). p. 134-147
- Kusuma, I. P. I. (2016). Developing Reading Material for Elementary Students in Tourism Area by Inserting Local Culture. Journal of English Education and Linguistics Studies (JEELS), 3(1), p. 109-127.
- Linse, Caroline. T. (2006). Practical English Language Teaching: Young Learners. Singapore: McGraw Hill Companies, Inc.
- Nation, I.S.P. and Meara, P. (2002) Vocabulary. In Schmitt, N. (ed.) An Introduction to Applied Linguistics. Edward Arnold: p. 35-54.
- Nation, I.S.P. (2003) Vocabulary. In Nunan, D. (ed.) Practical English Language Teaching. McGraw Hill, New York: p. 129-152.
- Nation, I.S.P. (2006) Second language vocabulary. In Brown, K. (ed.) Encyclopaedia of Language and Linguistics, 2nd Ed. Oxford: Elsevier. Vol 13: 448-454.
- Nugroho, S.N., Nurkamto, Joko., & Sulistyowati, H. (2012). Improving Students’ Vocabulary Mastery Using Flashcards. Jurnal STKIP UNS. 1(1). p. 1-15.
- O’Malley, J. M. & Pierce, L.V. (1996). Authentic Assessment for English Language Learners: Practical Approaches for Teachers. USA: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company.
- Paul, David. (2003). Teaching English to Children in Asia. Hongkong: Pearson Education Asia Limited.
- Slattery, M. & Willis J. English for Primary Teachers: A Handbook of Activities & Classroom Language. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Shin, Joan Kang. (2006). Ten Helpful Ideas for Teaching English to Young Learners. English Teaching Forums. No.2 p. 2-7
- Sutiah. (2011). The Implementation of Communicative Language Teaching (CLT) within Group-Work in an English as Foreign Language (EFL) Elementary Classroom in Indonesia. International Journal of Arts & Sciences, 4(24), p. 205-258.
- Taheri, M. (2014). The Effect of Using Language Games on Vocabulary Retention of Iranian Elementary EFL Learners. Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 5(3). p. 544-549.
- Zulfah, Rasyid, M. A., Rahman, M. A., & Rahman, A. Q. (2015). Teachers' Instructional and Management Talk in English Foreign Language Classroom. Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 6(6), p. 1280-1288.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.