Integrating Problem-Based Learning in a Criminal Law Course
In this modern era, intelligent and capable human resources to solve issues in the law field are necessary. Project-based learning with technology integration is perhaps one of the solutions to yield such human resources. However, the previous studies did not put much attention on the implementation of technology into project-based learning. This study therefore aims to examine the effect of project-based learning on students’ problem-solving ability
This study implemented a quantitative approach by administering a quasi-experimental design with the one group design pre-test and post-tests. This study involved 49 students who were taking a criminal law course in a university in Indonesia to obtain the data through administering tests.
The data were then analysed by performing paired sample t-test analysis and showed that t (96) = 67.67, p < 0.001.
In conclusion, project-based learning with technology integration can enhance the students’ problem-solving ability in a criminal law course. In addition, there are two implications discussed in this article.
Keywords : Project based learning;law study;schoology;problem solving
- Aminoto, T., & Pathoni, H. (2014). Penerapan media e-learning berbasis schoology untuk meningkatkan aktivitas dan hasil belajar materi usaha dan energi di kelas XI SMA N 10 Kota Jambi. Jurnal Sainmatika, 8(1), 13–29.
- Bignell, S., & Parson, V. (2009). Best practices in virtual worlds teaching: A guide to using problem-based learning in Second Life.
- Biswas, S. (2013). Schoology-supported classroom management: A curriculum review. Northwest Journal of Teacher Education, 11(2).
- Budiharso, T., & Arbain. (2019). Teaching practice: Immersion program for teacher development profession. Asian EFL Journal. Retrieved from https://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85078543752&partnerID=40&md5=98cdef8cfb7dfacae313c735695d56de
- Creswell, J. W. (2012). Educational Research: Planning, Conducting, and Evaluating Quantitative and Qualitative Research (4th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
- Farmington Schoology. (2014). What is schoology. Farmington Schoology. Retrieved on November 21, 2019 from https://sites.google.com/site/farmingtonschoology/what-is-schoology
- Gok, T., & Silay, I. (2010). The effects of problem-solving strategies on students’ achievement, attitude and motivation. Eurasian Journal of Physics and Chemistry Education, 4(1), 7–21.
- Gregson, K., Romito, L., & Garetto, L. (2010). Students’ attitudes toward integrating problem-based learning into a D.D.S. pharmacology curriculum. Journal of Dental Education, 74(5), 489–498.
- Harmer, N., & Stokes, A. (2014). The benefits and challenges of project-based learning. Plymouth University.
- Jalinus, N., & Ambiyar. (2016). Media dan sumber pembelajaran. Jakarta: Kencana.
- Johnsen, D. C., Marshall, T. A., Finkelstein, M. W., & Chalkley, Y. M. (2009). A model for critical thinking measurement of dental student performance. Journal of Dental Education, 73(2), 177–183.
- Ju, H. T. Y., Mai, N., & Selvaretnam, B. (2015). Enhancing problem-solving skills in an authentic blended learning environment: A Malaysian context. International Journal of Information and Education Technology, 5(11), 401–420.
- Khoiri, W. (2013). Implementasi model problem-based learning berbantuan multimedia untuk meningkatkan kemampuan berpikir kreatif siswa kelas VII SMP Negeri 4 Kudus pada materi segitiga. Universitas Negeri Semarang.
- Kusuma, I. P. I., Adnyani, N. L. D. S., & Taharyanti, G. A. P. (2017). Developing 10 interesting games as alternatives to the monotonous use of flashcards for vocabulary learning and assessments. Script Journal: Journal of Linguistic and English Teaching, 2(1), 68–82.
- Lee, G.-H., Tsou, K.-I., Lin, Y.-H., & Shiau, S.-J. (2009). When a problem-based learning tutor decides to intervene. Academic Medicine, 84(10), 1406–1411.
- Loyens, S. M. M., Kirschner, P. A., & Paas, F. (2011). Problem-based learning. In K. R. Harris, S. Graham, T. Urdan, A. G. Bus, S. Major, & H. L. Swanson (Eds.), APA educational psychology handbook, 2. Washington DC.: American Psychological Association.
- Mahayanti, N. W. S., Suprianti, G. A. P., Utami, I. A. M., & Kusuma, I. P. I. (2020). Playing with e-CALF: “Regulate My Own Learning.” Advances in Social Science, Education and Humanities Research, 394, 37–42.
- N, N., D, B., L, B., C, L., & A, B. (2013). An Overview of Case-Based and Problem-Based Learning Methodologies for Dental Education. Journal of Dental Education, 77(10), 1300–1305.
- Orsmond, P., & Zvauya, R. (2015). Community of LLearners: Charting Learning in First Year Graduate Entry Medical Students during Problem-Based Learning (PBL) Study. Advances in Health Sciences Education. Theory and Practice, 20(2), 479–497.
- Pereira, M. A. C., Barreto, M. A. M., & Pazeti, M. (2017). Application of Project-Based Learning in the first year of an Industrial Engineering Program: lessons learned and challenges. Production, 27(spe). https://doi.org/10.1590/0103-6513.223816
- Polya, G. (1973). How to solve it: A new aspect of mathematical method Press. New Jersey: Princeton University.
- Rachman, D., & Setiawan, I. (2016). Students’ problems and experience on prezi. Script Journal: Journal of Linguistic and English Teaching, 1(2), 83. https://doi.org/10.24903/sj.v1i2.32
- Romito, L. M., & Eckert, G. J. (2011). Relationship of Biomedical Science Content Acquisition Performance to Students’ Level of PBL Group Interaction: Are students learning during PBL group? Journal of Dental Education, 75(5), 653-664. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1002/bmb.21046
- Rusman, R. (2014). Model-model pembelajaran: Mengembangkan profesionalisme guru (2nd ed.). Jakarta: Rajawali Press.
- Wilkinson, J. (2014). The Role of Project-Based Learning in Promoting Environmental Stewardship: A case study of Bahrain Teachers College. Journal of Sustainability Education, 7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.